Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Hotwire.com and Computer cookies

Just a heads up.. Discovered today





I figured out what they do. When you search for a specific date on their site it quotes a price but then next time (or soon) you search that same date it raises the price, and so forth... Because it puts a cookie on your computer.. a scam really.



They want you to freak and buy it before it goes up more.. This could also be when you use their (Trip Watcher) function. So I used another fresh computer (never been to hotwire.com before) to do it and it was $7 cheaper/night and the same exact time.





something to think about when using hotwire



Hotwire.com and Computer cookies


Hey, thanks for the tip as I will delete my cookies right now!!! :)



Hotwire.com and Computer cookies


';They want you to freak and buy it before it goes up more.. This could also be when you use their (Trip Watcher) function. So I used another fresh computer (never been to hotwire.com before) to do it and it was $7 cheaper/night and the same exact time.';





how long after did you use the fresh computer?




seconds.. Pulled it up here for $96, then immediatly on the computer next to me for $89. I suspected this when checking the same trip from my office computer would be different then when I just checked it from home on my lunch break.




hmmm did you recheck on the computer next to you that had the original $96 choice to confirm they didn%26#39;t change their rates. It%26#39;s a pretty serious allegation. I%26#39;m trying to make sure every check was done. I work for a class action firm and this might be grounds for suit.




yep.. in fact now its a another price of $95 for september 7-8 4 star south strip.. Look it up on your computer.. I bet it says $89.. am I right?




';When checking hotels, I%26#39;ve seen Hotwire RAISE the price when they detect you%26#39;ve checked rates before .ie you have a cookie on your PC from a previous visit.



Be careful when re-checking to delete the Hotwire cookies from the browser so as not to be charged a higher booking price.';





';forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html…';




Unfortunatey this is not an uncommon practice: charging customers by what you think they might pay.



This is used by Amazon.com, and increasingly by different factions of the banking industry.




I believe it is commonly known that many airline reservation sites do the same thing. I suspect it is a more common practice than many realize.




Sounds like grand theft and some class action attorneys should jump right on the lawsuit bandwagon.





I am not a computer wiz but do understand the use of cookies. I find deleting all of them can result in later hassles so I guess you should get rid of certain ones when buying on line. and I have no doubt devious companies definitely do it

No comments:

Post a Comment