Friday, March 30, 2012

When will airfares stop you from going to Vegas?

It%26#39;s scary to think how much airfares have increased over the past few months. An article in the morning paper said the cost of jet fuel has increased by about 80% over the past year so it%26#39;s easy to see why airfares have skyrockted.

Vegas still remains one of the most popular vacation destinations but for those that visit LV regularly/annually, are current airfares altering your travel plans to Las Vegas?

When will airfares stop you from going to Vegas?

Flight prices have gone up, but not nearly enough to detour me from going to Vegas.... even then.. I have a car, it%26#39;s 11 hours to get there, but....I can speed!

When will airfares stop you from going to Vegas?

For the first time in several years - I actually booked a package - the airfare per person would have been more than the total package for 2. A friend of mine booked the package deal for the airfare -picked the cheapest hotel - and is not even going to use the hotel - the savings was over $400.


It has already stopped me. It%26#39;s not just the cost of the airfare - I think it%26#39;s only $50 to $75 more - it%26#39;s the overall airline experience and slower times at home. The hassle of flying had already driven me to only want to travel to Vegas once a year. If the airlines don%26#39;t start making commitments towards making traveling with them easier and friendlier, I will be more than content to limit my vacations to places where I can easily drive or take a train to.

Pretty soon, Vegas may be in jeopardy of becoming a destination that 3/4ths of the country will be happy with traveling to once in their lives because of the hassle and expense getting to unless things change.


It would have stopped us this year but we got free tickets thru a T-Mobile promotion...whew!

Last year we paid $92 each way, when I checked for this year it was double. Granted I didn%26#39;t do a ton of checking since we had the free tix, so maybe I would have eventually found a deal, I don%26#39;t know.


Yeah packages with sites like American Airlines vacations, Expedia, Orbitz, etc are now starting to look more attractive and I%26#39;ll probably use them more. I booked with AAvacations for my trip next week...it didn%26#39;t make any sense not to (even if I had been able to use my compd nights at Palazzo, I would have paid more if I booked separately....I just booked my airfare for February and it was $813 for my husband and I (yikes,,,,,) but I%26#39;ve been checking and the days and times I want (Sunday mid-day, Friday morning) are expensive no matter when you book so I might as well pony up now and stop worrying about it. I don%26#39;t think the fares will stop me, but I might have to get less picky about flight times if I%26#39;m going to be able to go twice a year.


If I had to sit on a tarmac for 7 hours, that would probably limit my trips to Vegas more than the costs. I might make one less trip per year cost wise but so far it hasn%26#39;t affected me. I will be flying Delta in September and December so I may change my mind after that.


I think travelers are more inclined to be tolerant of higher fares when LV is the destination since the experience awaiting them is superior to most other destinations...the number of repeat visitors validates this.

Baby boomers will be retiring by the millions over the next 10 years and it is this demographic that LV%26#39;s rapid expansion is targeting. Now if the economy would recover and cooperate our baby boomers can enjoy retirement and come to Vegas.


it wont stop me from coming to vegas but it definately make me come a whole lot less. in february of this i had tickets on ata for $350 from maui to las vegas direct round trip but after they went out of business i had to change my flight from maui to la then la to vegas and it cost me $750 with a 9 hour layover in la on the way back. now im going up in september im paying $780 after 50% off for round trip tickets this time.


Were any of you aware of this letter written by the airline industry to all airline customers?

consumerist.com/tag/recession-watch/…


specialk -

There were some $650 fares on Delta in September but that may be from Oahu only. If you had to fly here first I guess that%26#39;s not a very good deal.

  • reptiles
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment